After you have read chapters 5-7 in The Cay, respond to both of the following questions below. Please write in complete sentences that demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the book. Be sure to answer all parts of the question, and include both concrete detail and commentary. Use quotes from the book to provide proof for your answer and write the page number and author’s last name in parantheses after each quote.
1) What two types of birds did Timothy see? Why was it important for them to look for birds? What did Timothy see in the early morning of the fourth day? What happened to Phillip in all of the excitement? Do you think Timothy had a right to feel anger? Why or why not?
2) Once they landed on the island, what did Timothy do to prepare them to be rescued? Why did Timothy leave Phillip and Stew Cat alone? How did Phillip feel about this and why? What did Phillip make Timothy promise? Where was Timothy afraid they had landed? How did he feel about that?
Remember to write in complete sentences and proofread your writing before you submit your comments or questions to the blog. Write your comments on a word document; copy and paste them into a comments box. Be sure to use your first name only. Read and respond to each other’s comments. If you say that you agree or disagree with someone’s comment, tell that person why, respectfully.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
45 comments:
1.Timothy saw a booby bird and he sees petrels once in a while. A quote that supports me is "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Theodore Taylor page 50-51)Timothy sees an island on the fourth day. "I see an islan',true."(Theodore Taylor page 52)Phillip gets left behind on the island when Timothy goes exploring and stew cat goes away. I think that Phillip has a right to be mad because he got left alone and he is disabled since he is blind.
2. Timothy says that he will be ready next time to burn the torch. "I be ready next time for true. Let d'torch dry, den I be ready." (Theodore Taylor page 49) Timothy needed to explore to make sure the island was safe. Phillip was angry and scared because he thought that someone or something might harm him. Phillip wanted to be sure that Timothy would not leave him again. He needs to trust timothy. Timothy doesn't want to land in one of the cays. The ships would never pass the cays and they would be stuck there together.
1. One type of bird is the booby and the other was a petrel "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den I see petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Taylor p. 51) It was important for them to look for birds because wherever there is a bird, it will have to land on land some time. "I true watchin' d'birds ''cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore."(taylor p.51) On the fourth day early in the morning, Timothy saw and island."I see and islan', true."(Taylor p.52) In all the excitement, Phillip fell overboard. I think Timothy had the right to feel angry because there were sharks and sharks could have killed Phillip and himself.
2. When they landed on the island Timothy built a big fire."I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off."(Taylor p.58) When TImothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone, Phillip felt very helpless because he could not see. Phillip made Timothy promise because Phillip is very helpless without Timothy being his"eyes". Timothy was afraid they had landed at the Devil's mouth. He was afraid of that because no boat goes to the Devil's Mouth because of the long stretch of coral.
1) Timothy saw a seagull, blue face, and petrel and. It told them how close they were to shore. He saw an island and he said “I see Am Island!"(Taylor P.52). Nothing happened to Phillip in all of the excitement, besides the navy and his dad were looking for Phillip. I think Timothy does have the right to feel anger because he just can’t wait to get the heck out of the water.
2) Timothy prepared them by making a big fire so the next time an air plain came around they would be caught by the flyers attention.
Timothy left Phillip an the cat so he could find some place to stay for a while but did not no what was around them so Timothy didn’t want Phillip and the cat to be in danger. Phillip felt sad and felt like he was getting lied to because Timothy was talking to him the way his dad talk to Phillip when he was lying to him. Phillip felt sad and he didn’t really trust Timothy, because Timothy lied to him a lot and he felt not safe. Phillip made Timothy promises to come back and not leave him. Timothy was afraid they landed in Jamaica. Timothy was frightened and didn’t really no were he was going.
1)Timothy saw a booby and a petrel. Here is a quote to show that this is true."No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas ystiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago a booby....." (Taylor p. 50-51) They looked for birds to see if they were close to land. Timothy saw an island in the morning. Here is a quote to renstate what I said. "I heard Timothy shout, I see an island true." (Taylor p.52) Timothy fell into the water. Timothy had a right to feel angry because Phllip coud have been eaten.
2)Timothy set some clothes on fire to make a light. "We make d'torch young bahss." (Taylor p.48) Timothy left them alone so that he could scout for a good place to camp. Phillip was very scared. Devils Mount was were Timothy thought they had landed. Timothy was scared because that could mean that they had no chance of escaping.
1.the two birds he saw was a petrel and a booby. It helped them know that they were near the Serrenilla bank because that's where they nest. On the 4th day they found an island to camp on. In the excitement Phillip freaked out and fell out of the raft. Then some sharks came but Timothy helped him get back in. I think Timothy did have a right to be angry because they both had to jump in the water and they could have been killed so I do think he had a right to be angry.
2.Timothy had to make something that if they needed to attract someones attention, they could light it on fire quickly and easily. He left them alone so he could scout the island and look for a good campsite. Phillip didnt feel good about it because he is helpless without Timothy. So he made him promise he would never leave him alone again because he is helpless without Timothy. Timothy was afraid they landed in Debil's Mout' and he felt bad about it because he knew that almost nothing ever passed by there so It would be really hard for them to be rescued.
1)Timothy saw a petrel and a booby. It was important to look for birds because it shows them that they are close to shore, here is a quote to explain more “ Dis booby I saw was a blue face, mebbe nestin' out o' Serranilla Bank, mebbe not. Dey be feedin' on d'flyin feesh. I true watchin' d'birds 'cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore.” (Taylor p. 51). In the early morning of the fourth day, Timothy sees an island. In all of the excitement, Phillip falls overboard, to prove this, here is a quote “ In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.” (Taylor p. 52). Yes because Phillip is blind and Timothy didn't want him to fall overboard because of the sharks and he got mad because Phillip did fall overboard in all of the excitement and Timothy had to jump in and save him or else he would have been eaten up by the sharks.
2) Once they landed on the island, Timothy walked around the island to find a place to set up camp where he could build a big fire so the aircrafts could see the smoke, to explain more, here is a quote “ We be rescue, true. Before d'night, I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off.” (Taylor p. 58). Timothy left Stew Cat and Phillip alone to go find a good place to set up camp. Phillip felt frightened and helpless because he is blind and doesn't know what is right in front of him and he needs Timothy to be his eyes because Phillip can't use his own eyes, to prove this, here is a quote “ Realizing that I was alone on the beach I became frightened. I knew how helpless I was without Timothy.” (Taylor p. 59). Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone. Timothy was afraid they had landed in Devils Mouth, to further explain this, here is a quote “ D'place I am tinking of is call Debil's Mout'. 'Tis a U-shaped ting, wit dese sharp coal banks on either side, runnin' maybe forty, fifty mile. . . .” (Taylor p. 61).
Sorry, I forgot to answer one more thing. Timothy felt scared that could be in Devils Mouth.
1. The types of birds that they saw were a petrel and a booby bird. “No clouds, young bahss, jus’ blue like ‘twas yestiddy. But now an’ den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby…” (Theodore Taylor page 51) I think it was important for them to look for birds, because that would mean that they were near land. In the early morning on the forth day Timothy saw an island. In all the excitement that was happening, Phillip fell off the raft. “In the wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.” (Theodore Taylor page 52) I think that Timothy didn’t have the right to be angry, because Phillip fell over board! He could have been killed. But I do think that he could have been a little upset about what Phillip did, because he did tell him to crawl.
2. He made a big fire pile of brush and wood so the smoke would be seen by passer biers and by helicopters and planes. He left them alone so that he could explore the island and find a good place for camp. “Instead he got up to take a walk around the cay, saying he’d be back in a few minutes. Then Stew Cat wandered away. I called to him but he seemed to be exploring too.” (Theodore Taylor page 59) I don’t think that Phillip felt comfortable with this, because he’s blind and if something came up on him it would be by surprise and it’s pretty scary to be completely alone, especially on a deserted island. Phillip made Timothy promise that he wouldn’t leave him again. “When he was closer, I said harshly, “Never leave my again. Don’t you ever leave me again!” (Theodore Taylor page 60) Timothy is afraid that they had landed on a cay that was cut off from the rest of the sea by these banks of coral that made navigation dangerous. Phillip felt fear coming back to him.
HORRAY 6TH GRADE IS IN THE LEAD FOR CLASS COMPETITION!
1) The two types of birds were the petrel and the booby. The quote to explain this more is, “But now an’ den, I see a petrel while ago, a booby…” (Taylor page 51). It was good to look at birds because it tells if you are close to shore. Here is a quote, “I true watchin’ d’ birds ‘cause dey tell us we verre close to d’shore.”(Taylor page 51). Timothy saw an island in the morning, “I see an islan’,true.”(Taylor p. 52). Phillip got excited and fell overboard, “In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.”(Taylor p.52). Yes, he could be angry because he told Phillip and warned him that there were sharks. Even though he told Phillip he should of went a little easy.
2) Timothy went out to see where to put the camp, “Cotch me breath, den I will tour d’ islan’, an’ select a place for d’ camp...” (Taylor p.58). Timothy went out to find a place to make a camp. Phillip did not like being alone, “Never leave me again. Don’t you ever leave me again!”(Taylor p.60). Phillip made Timothy to never leave him alone, “Never leave me alone. All right young bahss, I promise.”(Taylor p.60). Timothy thought that they were on a dangerous island with animals and he thought that he should search the island.
1) The two birds that Timothy saw were a petrel and booby bird. For example Timothy said, "But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..."pg 51
It is important to look at birds because they want to see where land is. What happened to Phillip when he was really exited is he fell of the raft and almost got eaten by a shark. For example, "In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard." pg56 I think that Timothy had a right to fell ager because Timothy already told Phillip once that sharks were around them.
2) Once they landed on the island Timothy tried to make smoke with fire to signal a plane or anything that crosses the island's path. For instance When aircraft fly above, dey will see d'smoke an' fire Timothy said, "D'fire pile!" pg62 Timothy left Phillip alone because he was looking around the island. For example, "He must have been looking around," thought Phillip pg 60 . Phillip made Timothy promise to not ever leave him alone again because he was blind.Timothy was afraid that they had landed somewhere in Devil's mouth for he said,"D'place I am tinking of is call Debil's Mout'." pg.61 Phillip thought that they were going to be stuck out in Devil's Mouth forever because he said,"If we are in the Devil's Mouth, how can we be rescued." pg 62
The types of birds that Timothy saw were so called "booby's" the bird had a "blue face kind of like a blue j, and might be nesting" as Timothy stated p.51. it is important for timothy to look for birds "because they tell us were we are close to the shore" stated timothy p.51. what philip saw in the early morning of the fourth day was land! Philip was so exited that he fell overboard the ship. I think that timothy has no right to feel anger because he is dealing with a boy who has no experiance in the situation and still is confused about how he got on the small boat.
What timothy did to prepare themselves to get rescued is explore the island but he did it by himself so philip was left alone. philip did not like being left alone because it frightend him especially since he is on an island that he has no clue of. philip made timothy promise that he would come back safe, timothy was afraid that they had landed in an island that had unkown things and harmful things on it.
1. The two types of birds Timothy saw were the petrel and the booby. It was important to look for birds because birds have to stay around the land their nest is on so if Timothy saw birds that meant land were nearby. On the morning of the forth day Timothy spotted land and as the raft floated closer Philip fell of the raft in all his excitement. I think Timothy has the right to be angry especially when he said “Damn fool mahn! I tol’ you ‘bout d’shark!”(Theodore Taylor pg.53)Timothy already warned Philip about sharks but in his excitement he fell and endangered Timothy and himself.
2. Timothy prepared to be rescued because if they weren’t ready for ships or planes to pass they might not get rescued and would be stuck on the island. Timothy left the Stew Cat and Philip behind to look for a place to set camp, and anything that might be helpful to them. Since Philip went blind he hasn’t gotten used to not seeing. So when Timothy leaves him and Stew Cat, and Stew Cat goes exploring Philip gets very worried because he was alone somewhere he didn’t know plus he couldn’t see anything, “Realizing that I was alone on the beach I became frightened. I knew how helpless I was without Timothy.”(Theodore Taylor pg.59). When Timothy came back Philip told Timothy to never leave him alone. After Philip’s outburst Timothy told him his hunch about where they might be but said that if they were on one of the cays that were surrounded by banks of coral then no boats would come near the islands.
1. Timothy saw a petrel and a booby. It was important for them to look for birds because it would help them to know if there were getting close. "I true watchin' d'birds 'cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore." (Timothy, p.51). After Timothy shouted that he saw land, Phillip got so excited he stood up and fell overboard. Because Timothy forgot Phillip was blind he shouldn't have gotten so angry at him for falling overboard.
2. Timothy told Phillip that he was going to build a fire out of brush and wood in case any airplanes fly over, they'll see the fire. "I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." (Timothy, p.58) Timothy left them alone because he wanted to see what was on the island and if it was safe there. Phillip became frightened when he realized he was alone. Phillip made Timothy promise never to leave alone again. Timothy was afraid that they had landed on an island that had a lot of coral reefs blocking ships from getting close enough to rescue them.
1) The two type of birds that Timothy saw were a Booby and a Petrel. "In d'sky?" he searched it. "No clouds,young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den I see a petrel. While ago, a booby. Taylor, page 51." It's important for them to look for birds because they tell them when they are close to shore. "I true watchin' d'birds 'cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore. Taylor, page 51." Int he early morning Timothy sees an island. "I heard Timothy shout, 'I see an islan', true. Taylor page 52." in all of the excitement, Phillip fell overboard. I don't think Timothy had a right to be angry because it wasn't Phillip's fault he fell over, he was blind.
2) When they landed on the island Timothy went on a tour around the island to find a place to set up camp. Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone to tour the island. "Cptch me breath, deb I will tour d'islan', an' select a place for d'camp... Taylor page 58." Philip was very mad that Timothy left him alone, since he was blind. Phillip made Timothy promise that he would never leave him alone again. "Never leave me alone, Timothy. Taylor page 60." timothy is afraid they landed on an island where no boats pass, and they will never be found. "Fear coming back to me- I knew he'd mad a mistake bringing us ashore-I said, 'Then no ships will pass even close to us. Not even schooners! we're trapped here! Taylor, page 61." Phillip and Timothy both were scared that they would be stuck on the island forever.
1. Timmothy saw two brds called the Booby bird and the Petral. I think those birds are very cool. To prove it he said in this quote, "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like' twas yesttidy, But no, an' den I see a Petral. While ago a booby..."
2. Timothy spotted the island and then they went to get some birds, or fish. I think this was smart of Timothy and Phillip. And this is a Quote of what happened, or wht they did, "Dis booby I saw was a blue face, mebbe nestin' out o'serranill bank, mebbe not. Dey be feedin' on d'flyin'feesh. I true watchin' d'birds' cause dey tell us we very close to d'shore'!"
1) The bird that Timothy sees is a booby bird and he also sees a few petrels i can tell this because of this quote, "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago,a booby...,"( Taylor page 50-51) On the fourth day Timothy spotted an island i know this because of this quote,"I see an islan',true."( Taylor page 52) In all of the excitment Philip falls over board. I think that Timothy does not have the right to be angry because Philip is blind.
2) When they arrive Timothy builds a firee hoping that a plane will come over,I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off."(Taylor p.58) Timothy left Philip to go and explore the island and philip got very scared because he was blind and he thought someone might get him. Timothy is scared thyat they are in Devils Mouth were no ships go because of the coral.
1) The bird that Timothy sees is a booby bird and he also sees a few petrels i can tell this because of this quote, "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago,a booby...,"( Taylor page 50-51) On the fourth day Timothy spotted an island i know this because of this quote,"I see an islan',true."( Taylor page 52) In all of the excitment Philip falls over board. I think that Timothy does not have the right to be angry because Philip is blind.
2) When they arrive Timothy builds a firee hoping that a plane will come over,I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off."(Taylor p.58) Timothy left Philip to go and explore the island and philip got very scared because he was blind and he thought someone might get him. Timothy is scared thyat they are in Devils Mouth were no ships go because of the coral.
1.Timothy saw a booby bird and a petrel."No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Theodore Taylor page 50). It was important to see if they were near shore."I true watchin' d'birds ''cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore."(Theodore Taylor p.51). Early on the fourth day Timothy saw an island. "I see and islan', true."(Taylor p.52). In all the excitement, Phillip fell off the boat. I think Timothy had the right to feel angry because there were sharks and Phillip could have been eaten.
2.Timothy says that he will be ready next time to burn the torch. "I be ready next time for true. Let d'torch dry, den I be ready." (Theodore Taylor pg. 49). Timothy left Phillip and stew cat so he could find some place to stay for a while but did not know what was around them. Timothy didn’t want Phillip and stew cat to be in danger. Phillip made timothy promise to not leave him again. Timothy was very very afraid that they landed in one of the cays.
1. The two types of birds that Timothy saw were a booby and a petrel. It is important to look for birds because that usually means that they are close to land. Timothy saw an island on the fourth day. “I heard Timothy shout “I see an islan’, true.” (Theodore Taylor p. 52). Phillip was so excited that he fell overboard and put himself in danger because of the sharks. “In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.” (Theodore Taylor p. 52). I think Timothy had every right to be mad because Phillip should be more careful especially when he is blind and there are sharks in the water.
2. Once they landed on the island Timothy built a big pile of brush and wood. Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone because he thinks that Stew Cat is bad luck. “D’cot not good luck. (Theodore Taylor p 50). Phillip disagreed about this and did not like this. Phillip made Timothy promise that he would never leave him alone. Timothy was afraid they had landed at Devil’s Mouth which is an underwater U-shaped trench with sharp coral banks that go for 40 to 50 feet. Timothy is confident that they will be rescued by a plane when the pilot sees the smoke.
1. Timothy saw a booby bird and a petrel bird. A quote that supports me is,"No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a bobby...(Taylor page 50-51) It was important for them to look for birds because wherever a bird is, it will have to land on land some time. On the fourth day on early in the morning, Timothy saw an island. In all the excitement Timothy fell overboard. I think that Timothy had the right to be feel angry because Timothy could of been eaten.
2. When they landed on the island Timothy prepared a big fire. A quote that supports my fact is ,"I built a great fire pile o' brush an' wood."(Taylor page 58) Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone because he felt helpless. Phillip made Timothy promise because Phillip is very helpless without Timothy being his "eyes". Timothy was afraid that they landed at the devil's Mouth. He was afraid of that because no boat goes to the Devil's Mouth of the long stretch of coral.
I am sad because I must give away Fluffy :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
1) The two types of birds Timothy saw were Booby birds and Petrels. In the text they stated, "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Theodore Taylor page 50-51) I think it was important for them to find birds because then they would know they were close to shore. In the early morning on the forth day Timothy saw an island. In all of the excitement Phillip fell of the raft. Here is a quote...“ In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.” (Taylor p. 52) Yes, I do feel Timothy had the right to feel anger because he is stranded on a raft and has become blind. If I were Phillip i would definitely feel anger.
2) Once they landed on the island Timothy built a torch to prepare for being rescued because he thought that helicopters would be able to see the smoke and the know that there were people."We make d'torch young bahss." (Taylor p.48) Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone so he could search the island for a good place to set up camp. Phillip felt helpless when he was left because is blind so he couldn't see anything. I think Phillip is brave with all that is happening in the story. Phillip made Timothy promise that he wouldn't leave him alone. Here is a quote...“Never leave my again. Don’t you ever leave me again!” (Theodore Taylor page 60) Timothy was afraid they had landed in Devil's Mouth. He did not feel good about going into Devil's mouth because of the long stretch of coral. I would not want to go into Devil's mouth either.
1. Timothy sees a petrel and a booby bird. It is important to look for birds because birds mean you're close to shore, as stated in this quote: '"I true watchin' d'birds 'cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore."' (T. Taylor, page 51) In the morning of the fourth day, Timothy sees an island. In all the excitement, Phillip falls into the water, as quoted here: '"In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard."' (T. Taylor, page 52) I don't think Timothy had a right to feel anger because Phillip couldn't see so it's no surprise that he fell overboard.
2. Once they landed on the island, Timothy prepared to be rescued by exploring the island and finding kindling for a large fire. Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone because Phillip's blind and Stew Cat's just a cat. Phillip was mad at Timothy for leaving him alone because he couldn't see and became scared, as quoted here: ‘When he was closer, I said harshly, “Never leave me again. Don’t you ever leave me again!”’ (T. Taylor, page 60). Phillip made Timothy promise never to leave him again, as proven by the previous quote. Timothy was afraid they had landed on a cay in the middle of an area known as “Devil’s Mouth”, an inaccessible area to ships. This is proven by the following quotes: ‘“Young bahss, dere is, in dis part of d’sea, a few l’il cays like dis one, surround on bot’ sides by hombug banks. Dey are cut off from d’res o’ d’sea by dese banks…”’…and…’”D’place I am tinking of is call Debil’s Mout’. ‘Tis a U-shaped ting, wit dese sharp coral banks on either side, runnin’ maybe forty, fifty mile…”’ (T. Taylor, page 61). Timothy is afraid they have landed there because that would mean they can not be rescued by a ship.
1 Timothy sees the booby bird and the petrals. It is important for them to see the bird so that they know that there is land near by. They saw on the fourth day an island. In all of the excitment Philip fell over board. I didnt think Timothy should have gotten mad because Philip was just excited.
2 When they arrived on the island Timothy built a big fire. Philip felt very helpless because he couldnt really do any thing or see any thing. He made him promise that he would not abbandoned him. He was afraid that they landed in the devils mouth.
1. Timothy saw a Booby and petrel as he said “but now an’ den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby…” (Taylor p.51). It’s important for them to look for birds because that means they’re close to land. Timothy saw an island on the fourth day as he exclaimed “I see an islan’, true” (Taylor p.52). Phillip fell off the boat in all the excitement. I think Timothy had a right to get angry because he told Phillip not to stand up and it would have to be Timothy jumping in to save him.
2. Timothy built a fire so aircrafts can see them like he told Phillip. “D’fire pile! When aircraft fly above, dey will see d’smoke an’ fire!” Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone so he could explore the island. Phillip felt scared because he couldn’t see and needed Timothy. Phillip made Timothy promise that he would never leave him again. Timothy was afraid that they had landed in a cay. Timothy felt hopeful.
1. In the book Timothy mentioned seeing birds, these birds were a petrel and a booby, he said “But now an’ den, I see a petrel, while ago, a booby.” (Theodore Taylor Page 51) It was important for them to look for birds because birds only flew near land and they needed to get to land. In the early morning of the fourth day Timothy saw an island, as he saw it he said “I see an islan’, true.” (Theodore Taylor Page 52) There is excitement in the book when Philip falls overboard and Timothy has to save him. I think Timothy had a right to feel anger because it was Philips own fault that he fell overboard, and Timothy had to risk his life to save him.
2. Once They landed on the island Timothy prepared for them to be rescued by making a fire pile, “When aircraft fly above dey will see d’smoke an’ fire.” (Theodore Taylor Page 62) Timothy left Philip and stew cat alone because he was going to find food, when he got back he said “I walked roun’ d’ whole islan’, an’ dere is nothin’ but sea grape, sand, a few lil’ lizard, an’ dose palm tree.” (Theodore Taylor Page 60) Philip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone again. Timothy was afraid they landed on an island surrounded by thick coral, so no boat could reach them, this made Philip feel scared again.
1) Timothy saw a Booby Bird and ocaisionally some Petrels. Quote-"No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den i see petrels. While ago, a Booby..." (Taylor, page 50-51.)
Timothy an island on the fourth day. Quote-"I see and islan; true." (Taylor, page 52.) While there was commotion going on, Philip fell overboard. I don't blame Timothy for being mad because numerous creatures could have done a lot of harm to the both of them.
2) When they got to the island Timothy made a fire before he left Philip and Stew Cat all alone. "I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." (Taylor, page 58.) When Timothy left Philip and Stew Cat alone, Philip felt scared and helpless because he couldn't see. Philip was also very scared and worried that they had landed at Devil's Mount.
1)The two types of birds that Timothy saw were petrels and a booby.
"But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago,a booby . . ."(Taylor,p 51)
It was important for them to look for birds because it meant they were close to land if they saw birds. On the morning of the fourth day, Timothy saw an island.
" 'Timothy, you saw an island!'He laughed. 'yes, d'islan'! Dere 'tis..."(Taylor, p 53)
I do not think Timothy had the right to feel anger because Phillip was blind and made an honest mistake by standing up too fast.
2)In order to be rescued, Timothy set up piles of bark so that when they lit them on fire,the planes would see the smoke.
"Before d'night,I build a great pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." (Taylor, p 58)
Timothy left Phillip and stew cat alone so that he could explore the island.
"Instead he took a walk around the cay, saying he'd be back in a few minutes."
Phillip felt scared, especially because he was blind.
Phillip made Timothy promise that he would never wander off again without him.
Timothy was afraid they had landed in Devil's Mouth, a cay surrounded by sharp coral, making it nearly impossible for rescue by a boat. Timothy said it would be fine as long as they could get a plane's attention.
1. I think he saw Blue jays and crows. It was important for them to look for birds so they could make sure that they were going the right way. In the early morning of the first day Timothy saw land! “I see an islan’, true.” (Taylor p. 52) In all of the excitement Phillip fell of the boat. “In wild excitement, I stumbled overboard.” (Taylor p. 52) I think Timothy had the right to be angry but not too angry. I think this because Phillip was disobeying orders but he had been through a lot.
2. Once they landed on the island Timothy made a fire so if someone flew over head they would see them. “d’fire pile! When aircraft fly above, dey will see d’smoke from an’ fire!” (Taylor p. 62) Timothy left Phillip and Stew cat alone so he could explore the island. Phillip was upset because he didn’t know where Phillip was. Phillip made Timothy promise never to lie again. He was afraid they landed in the middle of a war zone and wouldn’t be found.
1) The two birds that Timothy saw petrels and boobys. It was very important to look out for birds, because birds usually live near land. On the morning of the fourth day Timothy spotted land: " In the early morning ( I knew it was early because the air was still cool and there was dampness on the boards of the raft), I heard Timothy shout," I see an islan', true." (Taylor pg. 54) In all of the excitement Phillip fell off the boat. The sharks went crazy and Timothy had to save Phillip and himself from the man-eaters. : “In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard. I went into the water, yelling for him, then came up, gasping. I heard a splash and knew that he was in the water too. Something slapped against my leg, and I thought it was Timothy. I knew how to swim, but I didn't know which way to go. So I was treading water. Then I heard Timothy's frightened roar, "Sharks," and he was thrashing about near me. He grabbed my hair with one hand and used his other arm to drag me back toward the raft. I had turned on my face and was trying to hold my breath. Then I felt my body being thrown, and I was back on the raft, gasping for air. I knew that Timothy was still in the water because I could hear splashing and cursing." (Taylor pg.52-53) I think that Timothy has right to be angry because his stupid "bahss" has stumbled into the water even though he was warned to stay out of the water. At the same time Timothy shouldn't be as mad because his blind passenger couldn't find out where the sides of the boat were. After all a blind person can't see.
2) Timothy helped ensure their discovery by making a big bonfire: " If we are in Devil's mouth then how will we be rescued?" I asked angrily. It was his fault we were there." D'fire pile! When air craft fly above dey will see d'smoke an' fire!"." Timothy left Phillip and Stew cat alone so that he could explore their island. Phillip didn’t like this he was lonely and he didn’t know where Timothy was. As to why he was scared here is a quote: “Instead he got up to take a walk around the cay, saying he’d be back in a few minutes. Then Stew cat wandered away. I called him, but he seemed to be exploring too. Realizing I was alone on the beach I became frightened. I knew how hopeless I was without Timothy. Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him again. Without Timothy he was hopeless. Timothy was afraid that they had landed in Devil’s mouth, an area surrounded by sharp coral reefs. Nobody came by there because it was very hard to get to. Phillip did not like the idea of no boats to find them. This was bad, very bad.
Timothy sees a petrel and a booby bird. "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy, But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Theodore Taylor page 51) It is important that Timothy and Phillip look for birds, because that means that they are getting close to land. On the morning of the fourth day, Timothy saw an island. "I see an islan', true" (Theodore Taylor page 52) In all of the excitement, Phillip fell into the water. Timothy is angry because Phillip jumped into the water even when Timothy told him about the sharks. I think that Timothy does have the right to feel anger, because anybody would feel anger if someone disobeys you.
Timothy built a huge fire to let the air planes know that they were there. "I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." (Theodore Taylor page 58) Timothy left Phillip and Stew cat alone because he was exploring the island. Phillip didn't like it when Timothy left him alone. "Never leave me again. Don't you ever leave me again!" (Theodore Taylor page 60) Phillip makes Timothy promise to tell him the truth. Timothy thinks that they have landed on a cay. Timothy doesn't like it because the island is surrounded by coral, which would make it dangerous for boats to come through.
1.The two types of birds are a booby and a petrel something to prove this is that Timothy said, "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." Theodore Taylor page 50-51. Early in the morning on the fourth day was an island. Philip was so excited that he ran around and fell overboard. I think that Timothy has a right to feel anger because he told Philip to stay put.
2) To prepare their rescue, Timothy made a torch to make smoke and signal people to rescue them. "I be ready next time for true. Let d'torch dry, den I be ready." Theodore Taylor page 49. Timothy left Philip and Stew cat alone to search for a camp site. He probably left them alone so Philip wont get lost. Philip was really scared and he made Timothy swear not to leave him again. Timothy was afraid that they had landed on a cay. He is afraid that a ship will not go by and they will never get out.
1. Timothy saaw a booby bird and also a petrel.
"But now an' den, I see a petrel. A while a go, a booby..." (P.51, Taylor)
Those were the two birds he saw. I think it's important for them to look for birds because sailors think that if they see a bird, the weather will be good. Timothy saw an island on the fourth day.
"I see an islan', true." (P.52, Taylor)
In the excitement, Phillip fell off the boat into the water near the sharks.
"In the wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard." (P.52, Taylor)
Timothy did have a right to feel angry because he had already explained to Phillip that he shouldn't go into the water.
"Damn fool mahn! I tol' you 'bout d'shark!" (P.53, Taylor)
2) Timothy wanted to make a big fire the instant that they saw a plane.
"Before d'night, I buiild a great fire pile o' brush an' wood, so d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." (P.58 Taylor)
The reason Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone was because he wanted to explore.
"Cotch me breath, den I will tuor d'islan' and select a place for d'camp..." (P.58 Taylor.)
Phillip thought he was helpless asnd he seemed pretty scared.
"Realizing that I was alone on the beach, I became frightened. I knew how helpless I was without Timothy." (P.59, Taylor)
Once Timothy returned, Phillip made him promise that he wouldn't leave him alone.
"I repeated, 'Never leave me alone, Timothy.' 'Alright, young bahss. I promise,' he said."
Timothy was afraid they were on Devil's Mouth.
"D'place I am tinking of is call Debil's Mout'. 'Tis a u-shaped ting wit dese sharp coral banks on either side, running maybe 40, 50 mile..."
He was hoping he was wrong.
"I do hope, young bahss, dat I am outragously misaken."
1.Timothy saw a booby bird and he sees petrels once in a while. "No clouds, young bass, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..."(Taylor pg. 50 - 51)Timothy sees an island on the forth day. When timothy goes to explore he is left behind. I think that phillip has a right right to be mad.
2.Timothy says he will be ready next time .
Oops, I forgot to add a few pages on the last few quotes ._.
1. Timothy saw a petrel and a booby. "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." Timothy P. 54. It was important for them to look for birds because birds meant they were close to land. Timothy saw an island on the fourth day.“I see Am Island!" Timothy p. 52. In the excitement Phillip fell overboard. Timothy should not feel too much anger at Phillip because Phillip is blind.
2. Timothy made a fire to signal planes once they had landed on the island."I be ready next time for true. Let d'torch dry, den I be ready." Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone because he wanted to explore the island by himself. Phillip was mad at Timothy because Phillip became very frightened when he was alone. Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone again. Timothy was afraid that they had landed in Devil's Mouth. He was very afraid that no ships would come rescue them.
Timothy saw a booby bird "While a go a booby"(Taylor pg. 50-51) It was important for them to look for birds because that mean that land is nearby. What timothy saw was land "I see an island,true" Taylor pg.52 What happened to Philip was that he fell into the water and sharks were swimming around so Timothy had to jump in and save him. I think timothy had the right to feel anger because he did something very foolish.
What he did was make a shelter and make himself comfortable for rescue. Phillip left them alone because he had to go search the island. Phillip did not feel that that was a good plan because he cant see. he made him promise that he could not move from that spot and stay there. Timothy was afraid because they landed in a place that no ship can pick them up in.
1) Timothy saw a booby bird and a petrel, once in a while. A quote that supports this statement would be "twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Taylor p.50-51)Timothy sees an island. He says "I see an islan',true." (Taylor p. 52)Phillip was so excited he fell overboard!!! I think Phillip has a right to feel angry because Timothy did not make sure he was always on board.
2) Timothy says he will be ready to burn the torch next time ""I be ready next time for true. Let d'torch dry, den I be ready." (Taylor p. 49)Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone because he went to go make sure the island was safe. Phillip was angry he left him alone because he was scared to be alone because he was blind. Phillip wanted to make sure that Timothy would never leave him alone again. Timothy was scared they landed in the cays. He was scared because he knew that the boats never went by the cays.
Timothy saw a bobby bird and he also sees petrels once in a while. When he said " No clouds, young bahss jus' blue like 'twas yestidday. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Taylor pg. 50-51) On the fourth day Timothy sees an island It says " I see an islan', true." (Taylor pg.52) Phillip gets left alone because Timothy goes exploring and Stew cat goes away. I think Phillip can be mad because he was left alone on an island he doesnt know of and also is blind.
1. The birds that Timothy sees is the booby bird and the petrel "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see petrel. While age, a booby" (Taylor, pg. 51). It was important to look for birds because if birds are flying around that means there is land close by that they have there nests "Dey be feedin' on d'flyin' feesh. I true watchin' d'birds 'cause dey tell us we veree close to d'shore" (Taylor, pg. 51). On the fourth day Timothy saw land or an island "I see an islan', true" (Taylor, pg. 52). In all of the excitement, Phillip fell overboard "In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard" (Taylor, pg. 52). Timothy did have the right to be angry because he told Phillip about the sharks in the water and that if he went into the water he would be killed.
2. Timothy prepared a fire-pile so when and aircraft came by he could set it alight so that the people could se the flame “D’fire pile! When aircraft fly above, dey will see d’smoke and’ fire!” (Taylor, pg.62). Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat because he wanted to search the island to look for a good spot for camp “I will tour d’islan’, an’ select a place for d’camp” (Taylor, pg. 58). Phillip felt scared when Timothy left because he didn’t feel safe because he was alone “ Never leave me again. Don’t you ever leave me again!”(Taylor, pg. 60). Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone again. Timothy had landed the raft in the “Devil’s Mouth”. He was scared that no planes or ships would come by so they could be rescued.
1. Timothy saw a booby bird and petrels and a quote to support my idea is "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby..." (Theodore Taylor page 50-51) It was important for them to look for birds because wherever the birds are it shows them when they are close to land. In all the excitement stew cat goes missing. He definitely has the right to be angry because he was put into danger.
2. When Timothy is preparing to be rescued he makes a big fire so that the next time a plane comes they will catch the attention of the driver. Here is a quote to support my response. "We make d'torch young bahss." (Theodore Taylor p.48) They were scared and unhappy. He was afraid they landed in the middle of nowhere.
1.Timothy saw a booby and a petrel. "No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas ystiddy. But now an' den, I see a petrel. While ago a booby....." Taylor p. 50-51 They looked for birds to see if they were close to land. Timothy saw an island when he woke up. "I heard Timothy shout, I see an island true." Taylor p.52 Timothy fell into the water. Timothy had a right to feel angry because Phllip could have been eaten.
2.Timothy set some clothes on fire to make a light. "We make d'torch young bahss." Taylor p.48 Timothy left them alone so that he could scout for a place to camp. Phillip was scared. Devils Mount was were Timothy thought they had landed. Timothy was scared because that could mean that they had no chance of escaping.
1.He saw a booby and a petrel. The birds would supposedly tell where they were. Black. Phillip fell over board. No, because Phillip was blind.
2. Timothy set a fire up. To go explore the island. Phillip felt scared because he was helpless without Timothy because he was blind. That Timothy would be with Phillip at all times. The Devil's Mouth. He felt a little worried they wouldn't get rescued.
1) What two types of birds did Timothy see? Why was it important for them to look for birds? What did Timothy see in the early morning of the fourth day? What happened to Phillip in all of the excitement? Do you think Timothy had a right to feel anger? Why or why not?
Timothy saw a booby and petrel. "I see a petrel. While ago, a booby." (Taylor 51) In the early morning of the forth day Timothy sees land "I see an isnlan', true." (Taylor 52) In Phillip's excitement he fell overboard. "In wild excitement I stumbled and fell overboard." (Taylor 52) I think Timothy had the right to feel anger because he had warned Phillip and he wasn't extremely angry.
2) Once they landed on the island, what did Timothy do to prepare them to be rescued? Why did Timothy leave Phillip and Stew Cat alone? How did Phillip feel about this and why? What did Phillip make Timothy promise? Where was Timothy afraid they had landed? How did he feel about that?
Timothy got ready to make a big fire when an aircraft came near. "I build a great fire pile o' brush an' wood. So d'nex' aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off." left Phillip and Stew Cat alone to explore the island. Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone. "Never leave me alone, Timothy.""All right, young bahss, I promise," he said." (Taylor 60) Timothy was afraid they had landed in Devil's Mouth. He felt a little nervous and a little less hopeful.
1) The two types of birds Timothy saw were petrel and booby; “But now an’ den, I see a petrel. While ago, a booby…” (Taylor, p. 51).
It was important for them to look for birds because they are a sign that land is near; “I true watchin’ d’birds ‘cause dey tell us we veree close to d’shore.” (Taylor, p. 51).
Timothy saw an island in the early morning of the fourth day; “In the early morning (I knew it was early because the air was still cool and there was dampness on the boards of the raft), I heard Timothy shout, “I see an islan’, true.” (Taylor, p. 52).
Phillip, in all the excitement, fell into the water; “In wild excitement, I stumbled up and fell overboard.” (Taylor, p. 52).
Timothy had a right to feel anger because there were sharks in the water that could’ve killed both of them; “ He yelled, “Damn fool mahn! I tol’ you ‘bout d’shark!” (Taylor, p. 53).
2) Once they landed on the island, Timothy was going to prepare wood for calling the attention of airplanes flying nearby; “He said confidently, “We be rescue, true. Before d’night, I build a great fire pile o’ brush an’ wood. So d’nex’ aircraft dat fly ovah, we set it off.” (Taylor, p.58).
Timothy left Phillip and Stew Cat alone to explore the island; “Instead he got up to take a walk around the cay, saying he’d be back in a few minutes. Then Stew Cat wandered away. I called to him but he seemed to be exploring too.” (Taylor, p. 59).
Phillip felt fear for being left alone because he was blind and so could not know what was going on; “Realizing that I was alone on the beach I became frightened”. (Taylor, p. 59).
Phillip made Timothy promise to never leave him alone again; “When he was closer, I said harshly, “Never leave me again. Don’t you ever leave me again!” (Taylor, p. 60).
Timothy was afraid that they had landed on the Devil’s Mouth, a cay surrounded by coral banks where ships could not sail; “D’place I am tinking of is call Debil’s Mout’. “Tis a U-shaped ting, wit dese sharp coral banks on either side, runnin’ maybe forty, fifty mile….” (Taylor, p. 61).
He felt worried about that; “I do hope, young Bahss, dat I am outrageous mistaken”. (Taylor, p. 62).
1. Timothy saw a booby bird and he sees lots of petrels once in a while."No clouds, young bahss, jus' blue like 'twas yestiddy.But now an' den, I see a petrel.While ago,a booby..."(Tayor page 50-51) he saw the cay or the island on the fourth day. Phillip gets left behind on the island when stew cat left and Timothy goes exploring.I do think that he has the right to be mad because they left him on a unknow place when he is blind.
2. Timothy says that he will be ready to light the torch " we make d'torch young bahss." ( Tayor Page 48) He is afriad that they landeded on a cay because shps could get stuck and that would not be that good for the ships.
Post a Comment