After you have read Chapters 15-19 in The Cay, respond to both of the questions below. Please write in complete sentences that show thoughtful consideration of the book. Be sure to answer all parts of the question. In Part I and Part II include a quote from the book, write the author’s last name and page number and comment on why you used the quote. Thanks to mods 1-4 for writing Part I and to mods 5-8 for writing Part II!
1) During and after the hurricane, what happened to Timothy? What was Phillip’s (and Stew Cat’s) reaction? What was your reaction? Have you ever felt a similar loss that you feel comfortable sharing?
2) How would you deal with the predicament in which Phillip found himself after Timothy’s death? What did Phillip believe he had to do after the hurricane? What is the one thing Phillip wanted from the island? How did Phillip regain his sight? How has Phillip changed in the way he deals with his parents and Henrik? Did you like the ending? Why or why not?
Write your comments on a word document then copy and paste them into the comments’ box. Be sure to use your first name only. Read and respond to each other’s comments. If you say that you agree or disagree with someone’s comment, tell that person why, respectfully.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
46 comments:
1.What happened to Timothy was that he was very tired from the Hurricane's furry and died. "Phillip sometimes people die from being tired". What Phillip and Stew Cat's reaction was that he didn't cry and only remembered his black face. My reaction was that I was amazed that Timothy died and that was right when I thought that everything was going to be alright because the storm was over and I thought that he would get up and regain his strength.
2.I would just try to tough in up and get on with it and take care of myself and stew cat. What he believed he had to do was that he had to take care of both of them and wait to get picked up by a ship. The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was that he wanted the knife that was stuck in the palm tree because that was all that was left from the island. He regained his sight by being rushed to a hospital and healing his wound. "I was rushed to a hospital" He was changed by caring for them and thought that they were different too. I liked the ending because it was a good book and that was a good way to sum up the whole book.
1. During the hurricane, Timothy is battered so hard that he finds that it is hard to move. After the hurricane, Timothy dies from exhaustion and old age. Phillip becomes very sad and, eventually, cries. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) I felt sad that Timothy had died but I was expecting it. It's not that I've read the book before, but he was very old and weak and he got malaria. I have not had a loss I'm comfortable sharing.
2. If I was in Phillip's situation, I would try to continue living on the cay without Timothy. After the hurricane, Phillip felt he needed to "get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on... make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left... and search the whole island to see what the storm had deposited." (Taylor pg.116) The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife."... I remembered Timothy's knife in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay." (Taylor pgs. 133-134) Phillip regained his sight from a series of three surgeries. Phillip has changed because now he finds Henrik "young" and he spends more time with black people. I did like the ending because I thought it was a good way to sum up the story.
I wear a Jamba Juice hat repeatedly.
FOOD!
1) Timothy got injured and ended up dying. Phillip was very sad, and he was a afraid that he would not be able to survive without Timothy, since he is blind. I was not surprised that he died, (unlike Justin, who was surprised) because I had a feeling that after the fever and malaria decreased his strength, the hurricane made it even worse, and with his old age combined, he died.
2) I would have no other choice put to deal as best I could, unless I wanted to die (which I don't). After the hurricane Phillip believed that he needed to dig a grave for Timothy. Phillip wanted the knife from the island. Phillip regained his sight by having surgery on his eyes. Phillip never understands why his mom did not like blacks, and doesn't see Henrik much because he seems "to young." I think the ending was fine, since in most books it's good to have a little sadness for added suspense. I thought the book was also pretty good, though I have read better.
1. Timothy got ready for the hurricane that was about to come but unfortunately he died trying to protect Phillip from the monstrous waves."Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body." (Taylor page 108) Phillip was sad because now his best friend (aside from Henrik)was gone. Stew cat probably did not really know what was going on except for the hurricane. I have never felt as much sadness as Phillip has though.
2. I would just have to move on and never look back. Phillip had to now take care of stew cat and himself while still being blind. Phillip wanted the knife that he stuck in the tree. "After I climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay. Phillip regained his sight with some surgeries. "The piece of timber that had hit me the night the Hato went down had damaged some nerves. But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see. That was the important thing. Phillip never plays with Henrik now often but he feels closer to the black people who knew Timothy. I liked the ending. It was sad because Timothy dies and happy because Phillip gets saved.
1. What happened to Timothy was that during the hurricane, he has sheltering Philip and was taking the full fury of it and in the end, he died. "Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead." Taylor pg. 112. Philip's reaction was minor on the outside, but devastating on the inside. As for Stew Cat, he just purred and rubbed on Philip's leg as usual. My reaction was that I thought it was sudden but I expected something like that to happen. I have felt a similar loss, but I am not comfortable sharing it.
2. I would probably be sad but grateful for my survival and I would hug Stew Cat. I believe that Philip felt that he had to get off the island, charter a schooner some day, and find the cay. "Someday, I'll charter a schooner out of Panama and explore the Devil's Mouth. I hope to find the lonely little island where Timothy is buried." Taylor pg. 137. The one thing that Philip wanted from the island was the knife stuck in the palm tree. I think this because one, it was the only thing pretty much left after the hurricane, and two, its sort of like a souvenir from all of his adventures. Philip regained his sight repairing his nerves through surgery. Philip changed because he was now more mature than Henrik. I liked the ending because the whole part of Timothy dying and the ending paragraph really made the book for me.
P.S. the word "CAY" is pronounced like the word "KEY"
1. Timothy was constantly fighting the elements as he and Phillip endured the hurricane, and in result Timothy gave his all and perished in the cay. “With his great back to the storm, taking its full punishment, he made it possible for me to live.”(Taylor pg.114)After Timothy’s death I think both Phillip and stew cat was too saturated with fear and the ache of losing someone close. I was gloomy when Timothy died but I wasn’t that surprised that Timothy died, because in many place the author mentions Timothy’s great age. I know how Phillip felt because the only grandma I met died, and the worst part was that before I heard the bad news I had such a great, fun day. When I came home I found my mom crying and praying (which my family hardly does).
2. If I found myself after a storm where my best friend sacrificed himself for me I would put the skills Timothy taught me to good use. Phillip knew he had to feed himself and Stew Cat, make a shelter, sleeping mats, and make a new signal fire along with a new “help” sign. Phillip wanted to bring Timothy’s knife with him. Phillip regained his sight after surgery. Phillip know regards Henrik as a child, “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) I liked the ending because it ties the story up in a bittersweet way.
1)What happened to Timothy was that he was very tired from the Hurricane's furry and died. "Phillip sometimes people die from being tired". What Phillip and Stew Cat's reaction was that he didn't cry and only remembered his black face. My reaction was that I was amazed that Timothy died and that was right when I thought that everything was going to be alright because the storm was over and I thought that he would get up and regain his strength.
2)I would just try to tough in up and get on with it and take care of myself and stew cat. What he believed he had to do was that he had to take care of both of them and wait to get picked up by a ship. The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was that he wanted the knife that was stuck in the palm tree because that was all that was left from the island. He regained his sight by being rushed to a hospital and healing his wound. "I was rushed to a hospital" He was changed by caring for them and thought that they were different too. I liked the ending because it was a good book and that was a good way to sum up the whole book.
1. During the hurricane Timothy got hurt very badly and got so tired he gave up fighting for his life and died. At first Phillip did not cry. "There are times when you are beyond tears." (Taylor, p.112) Then Phillip fell asleep and when he awoke Stewcat was next him (probably to comfort him), and Phillip began to cry. When a was a little boy and my very first pet died I was really sad.
2. I would have been very upset and sad, but I would take care of myself and Stewcat until we were safe. Phillip believed he had to do everything that was necessary for him and Stewcat to stay alive. The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife. "I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay." (Taylor, p. 133-134) A navy ship came and took Phillip to Panama and rushed him to a hospital, where he was operated on and got his sight back. Phillip acted toward his parents more nice and didn't hang around Henrik anymore because Henrik seemed young to him. I thought the ending was good, I don't like that Timothy died; however, I liked that Phillip ended by saying that one day he would go back and find the island where Timothy was buried.
1) During the hurricane they tried to protect each other but at the end unfortunately Timothy died and was buried on the cay. “Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead.”(Taylor p.112) He was sad that he had died and he was beyond tears. Phillip didn’t have much of a reaction but crying softly. “I stayed there beside him for a long time, very tired, thinking that he should have taken me with him wherever he had gone. I didn’t cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears.”(Taylor p.112) I was actually very shocked but had that tiny feeling that he was going to die. I also felt sympathy for Phillip I kind of know how he is feeling. I actually did have a loss. My 21 year old cousin(Who is having a BABY!) had a friend who would play around with me all the time but unfortunately died of drugs and when I heard of her lost I couldn’t believe it and I didn’t know what to say to my cousin.
2) If I was in Phillip’s shoes I would feel really bad and probably cry for a few days but then I would tell my self that people die everyday but we need to move on in life. It’s done and we can’t do anything about it. Phillip had to rebuild and get back where things were used to be. “Feeling it everywhere under my feet, I knew that the cay was littered with debris. I started cleaning the camp area, or what was left of it.”(Taylor p.114-115) The one thing he wanted from the cay was Timothy’s knife. “After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy’s knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay.”(Taylor p.133-134) Phillip regains his sight after he had three surgeries. “But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see. That was the important thing.”(Taylor p.136) Phillip changes his behavior to Henrik because Phillip thinks that Henrik is too young for him. “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor p.136) I liked it a lot I thought it was a good statement to end a good book. I thought that the cay was the best out of the tree books we’ve read so far.
1. During the hurricane, Timothy is hurt so bad that he finds that it is hard to move. After the hurricane, Timothy dies from exhaustion and old age. Phillip becomes very sad and, eventually, cries, but not right away. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) I was very sad when Timothy had died but I was expecting it. I have not had a terrible loss.
2. If I found myself after a storm where my best friend sacrificed himself for me, I would use all the things Timothy taught me. Phillip knew he had to feed himself and Stew Cat, make a shelter, sleeping mats, and make a new signal fire along with a new “help” sign. Phillip wanted to bring Timothy’s knife with him. Phillip regained his sight after surgery. Phillip know regards Henrik as a child, “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) I liked the ending because it ties the story up in a bittersweet way.
1. What happened to Timothy is that I think that the wind and the water might have gave him shock or Hipotherma from the cold temps.“With his great back to the storm, taking its full punishment, he made it possible for me to live.”(Taylor pg.114) I think that Phillip's reaction is that I think that he took it well and he did not give up and he thrived on his own. I new that if he did not say anything that he would have died in the storm.
2. I would not any about it again and if I went back to the island that will be the only time I would think about him. I would not want to loss someone else like that so I would try to keep Stew Cat alive and wait."The piece of timber that had hit me the night the Hato went down had damaged some nerves. But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see." ( Tayor Page? chapter ?) I think the book should hve ended with NO sad ending because it is sad.
1) Timothy is battered by the hurricane to save Philip and afterwaqrd he dies of an injury and old age."Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body." (Taylor page 108), "Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead." (Taylor pg. 112.)Philip was very sad and wanted Timothy to have taken them with him."why did he leave us alone here,"(Taylor Pg.113.) I was sad but i knew that Philip was going to be rescued because he could not last on the island that long.
2) I would do all the things that Timothy had done.Timothy had to make a signal fire and he had to survive untill he gets rescued. Philip wanted Timothy's knife because it was the only thing that was his."I remembered Timothy's knife in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay." (Taylor pgs. 133-134).Philip had a couple of sergeries done and he got his sight back but he stil has to always wear glasses. I liked the ending but i wish Philip had not been blind for the whole story because i could not picture the island.
1. Timothy got very tired and died after the hurricane because he just too tired and likely died from blood loss. "Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body." (Taylor page 108) Phillip didn't cry because he had no tears left, but then he realized how much he loved Timothy and how much he missed him now that he was gone and cried."I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) It was a bittersweet feeling when Timothy died. If you think about it, the story would have not been as good if Timothy hadn't died. It was sad when Timothy died but a plain "happily ever after" story wouldn't have been as satisfying.
2. If I was in the situation that Phillip was in, I never could have done half the things he had done to stay alive, and he was blind. I would have tried to fish and feed Stew Cat and myself. Also, I would have tried to clear up the camp and make the HELP sign again. Finally, I would make Timothy's grave and bury him. Phillip thought he had to take care of himself and Stew Cat and bury Timothy. Phillip wanted to take Timothy's knife with him because it reminded him of Timothy." I remembered Timothy's knife in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay." (Taylor pg. 133) Phillip was taken to the hospital and given several operations to help him regain his sight. Phillip is more grown up now and he feels that other children are foolish and ignorant compared to what he's been through.“I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) I liked the ending because of what he said about going back to the cay and talking to Timothy. I don't think there was enough emotion in the end though. Theodore Taylor never told how Henrik or anyone else besides his parents reacted to his incredible journey.
1.After The Hurricane Timothy unfortunately passes away, Philip at first was in shock and was almost mad at Timothy for leaving them on the cay but then starts to dig and build a grave for him. I wasn't expecting Timothy to die so suddenly, but knowing hes 70 years old and being put threw a hurricane I started to think there was a chance of him dieing.
2.I have no clue what i would do if i was in Philips predicament, being blind,alone,and being so startled by the death of one of his friends i wouldn't know what to do. I would just try to take care of myself and Stew cat and pray that someone would find me and take me off the Cay.
1 Timothy died by the hurricane. It was hard to live without Timothy. I dont really have a reaction about Timothy it is just a book. Yes when both of my grampas died.
2 I would be troubled and it would be hard but I would do alright. he made a fire and and waited. He wanted Timothys knife. He had segury a couple times.Now Phillip hangs out with back guys.
1.Timothy was killed from the strength of the hurricane and being tired from surviving. "Phillip sometimes peopledie from being tired." Phillip and Stew Cat reacted to this by not to effected at first remembering his black face and then crying. My reaction was not too suprised because DORI TOLD ME BEFORE and I was not too suprised also because I knew tomothy would do anything to save Phillip. No i haven't felt a similar loss.
2.I would probobly use the skills that Timothy has taught me. Phillip beleived he had to make a grave for timothy. Phillip wanted the knife that was stuck in the palm tree. He regained his sight after being rushed to the hospital and the wound being healed."I was ruched to the hospital." He was shanged by caring for them and thought that they were different too I liked the ending because Phillip got his sight back.
1. During the hurricane Timothy is trying to hold on to Phillip and try to save him and keep him from being washed away. But he eventually loosed strength and dies. After the hurricane he got so tired and wiped out he died. Phillip remembers his father saying "some people just die from being tired." Phillip's reaction was that he was sad and thought that the only thing that was keeping him from crying+being scared was his blindness. My reaction was i couldn't believe Timothy had died I had a feeling it would happen but not leaving Phillip alone on the island. I thought nobody was going to come and save Phillip and I thought TImothy was just kidding about him getting his sight back. But at the end I was so shocked he actually got it back. I have felt a simular loss and can relate to Phillip when my dog got run over by a mail truck on my first day to preschool and we had to go to the hospital to try and revive him but unfortunately he passed. That was one of the saddest days of my life.
2. I would deal with it by probably what Phillip did but what i think is truly amazing is how much courage Phillip had to keep living on the island without Timothy. It took real courage to go hunting for "langosta" after Timothy told him specifically not to. He knew he was taking a risk when he did that because he is very young and most of all HE IS BLIND!!! After Timothy's death Phillip had to redo everything he had to remake the hut, mats, find the fishing poles that Timothy "put in a safe place", dig a grave for Timothy, remake the "time can", and much much more.The one thing that Phillip wanted from the island is Timothy's knife "I rememberd Timothy's knife in the palm tree. It was the only thing i wanted off the cay."(Theodore Taylor Page 133). Phillip regained his sight after the doctor gave him glasses and redid his brain. Phillip had changed a lot because now he hangs out with the "black men" down at the market. He said he felt close to him just as he had to Timothy. Some of them had known Timothy. Now he has tons of stories to tell. I liked the ending because it made the story but i wish Timothy lived because then he would still be close with Phillip and stuff. But then again things might have changed if he lived. Phillip did a good job.
* Mrs. Torello you are the best at picking books because you always choose the good ones.... I LOVE THE CAY BOOK!!!!!!!
1. During the hurricane Timothy was protected Phillip from the storm and after he was very worn down and then he died. “Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body” (Taylor page 108) Phillip and Stew Cat’s reaction to Timothy’s death was angry, sad and quite calm, considering it was only Phillip and Stew Cat on a forgotten cay and Phillip was blind. “At first I was angry with Timothy. I said to Stew Cat, “Why did he leave us alone here?” (Taylor 113) I was pretty shocked, but in a book like this I was kind of expecting one of them to die, most books don’t just end perfectly and happy. No, I haven’t had a similar loss of someone like Phillip did.
2. I would deal with the predicament by trying to forget that he died and try to get onto living on the cay. Phillip had to feed him and Stew Cat, rebuild the hut, build another signal fire and spend each day listening for the sound of aircraft. “Then I made a bed of palm fronds and sprawled out on it, listening to the still angry sea as it tumbled around the damp cay and thinking: I must feed myself and Stew Cat; I must rebuild the hut and build another signal fire down on east beach; then I must spend each day listening for the sound of aircraft.” (Taylor page 115) Phillip wanted was Timothy’s knife stuck in the palm tree. “After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy’s knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay.” (Taylor page 133 and 134) Phillip regained his sight by having surgery, but he had to wear glasses for the rest of his life. “But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see.” (Taylor page 136) Phillip dealt with his parents and Henrik more grown up and responsible after he got back. “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch and the British. He seemed so young.” (Taylor page 136) I liked the ending, even though Timothy died, because it ended up telling us what Phillip did after he got back and it was really nice how he said that when and if he finds the cay that they were on he would say ‘Dis b’dat outrageous cay, eh Timothy?’ which really shows he connected with him.
BTW my little bro turned 9 at exactly 7:17 tonight! :)
1. During the hurricane Timothy got pelted by the rain and wind from shielding Phillip that he died from tiredness. Phillip felt sad but not sad and he didn’t think he should cry as he thought “I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears” (Taylor p.112). I kinda new that Timothy was gonna die because he was so old. I haven’t had a similar lose like that yet.
2. I would start to make a hut and get food and hope that someone would find me. Phillip believed that he had to survive for Timothy and bury him. Phillip wanted Timothy’s body from the island as he said “I hope to find the lonely little island where Timothy is buried” (Taylor p.137). Phillip regained his sight after people removed a piece of timber out of his nerves. Phillip dealt with his parents and Henrik like he was older. I think the ending was good but you could predict it.
During and after the hurricane timothy saddly died. We think that he was just to tired and could not hang on any longer, Philips reaction to the tradgedy was very sad yet showed respect by digging a grave.
how i would deel with timothy and his death is i would keep him on my mind and be very sad yet still i would have to carry on with my survival. the one thing that Philip wanted was the knife in the palm tree. "i was rushed to the hospital" (taylor) and that is how Phiip regained his sight. I did like the ending but the part where philip got saved was very predictable to me.
1)Timothy died because he had been protecting Phillip."Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body." (Taylor page 108) Phillip got very sad and started to cry even though said he wouldn't. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) From the second they stepped on to the Cay I could tell that Timothy was going to die. No I don't feel comfertable sharing.
2)I would go about the same way that Phillip did, because I wouldn't want to stay on the cay.He though he had to. “Then I made a bed of palm fronds and sprawled out on it, listening to the still angry sea as it tumbled around the damp cay and thinking: I must feed myself and Stew Cat; I must rebuild the hut and build another signal fire down on east beach; then I must spend each day listening for the sound of aircraft.” (Taylor page 115) Phillip wnated Timothys knife. “After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy’s knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay.” (Taylor page 133 and 134) After the tird operation he rgained his sight.“But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see. That was the important thing.”(Taylor p.136)He doesn't play with Henrick that often.“I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor p.136) Yes I liked the ending of the book because it left Phillips life at a good stopping point. They also told everything that happened to all the characters.
The Oscars Are On Sunday Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. What happened to Timothy in the hurricane is that he protected Phillip from the hurricane and died. "Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body." Taylor pg 108. Their reaction was being very sad and depressed because he was very important to them. My reaction was the same because he was really cool and stuff, so when he died I thought that it was totally uncalled for.
2.I would feel so depressed that you that you wouldn't even be able to comprehend my depression. I like, wouldn't be able to do anything for like a week or something. Phillip felt he needed to fix everything and like, "get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on... make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left... and search the whole island to see what the storm had deposited." Taylor pg.116. The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was the knife that Timothy had left stuck in a tree. He regained his sight because in the hospital, they healed a wound in his head and neck that allowed him to see again. He changed his way of dealing with his parents and Henrik because he was alot more mature now, so they were all treated differently. I liked the ending, because It kept you guessing to the very end, and was really suspensful.
1) During and after the hurricane, what happened to Timothy? What was Phillip’s (and Stew Cat’s) reaction? What was your reaction? Have you ever felt a similar loss that you feel comfortable sharing?
During the hurricane Timothy passed out, after, Timothy died. "Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie" ((Taylor 112) Phillip's reaction was that he was very very sad but also proud that he got to put his skills to use. I haven't felt a similar loss.
2) How would you deal with the predicament in which Phillip found himself after Timothy’s death? What did Phillip believe he had to do after the hurricane? What is the one thing Phillip wanted from the island? How did Phillip regain his sight? How has Phillip changed in the way he deals with his parents and Henrik? Did you like the ending? Why or why not?
I would try and remember everything Timothy had told me and really pay extra attention to what I was doing. Phillip believed he had to build Timothy a grave. "I began to dig a grave for Timothy." (Taylor 113) The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife. "I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing i wanted off the cay." (Taylor 133, 134) Phillip regained his sight through medical treatment. I liked the ending because Phillip had learned alot and put it to use and even though not everyone believed his story, it became a part of him, and he always remembered his adventures on the cay
check this out =D i made it (the blue isn't a link i just put it in to separate the words from the dots.
=========....=......=.......=====
.....=..........=......=.......==
.....=..........======.......====
.....=..........=......=.......==
.....=..........=......=.......======
.....=======...........==........==......==
...==..................====.........==...==
...==.................==...==.........===
...==.................======.......... =
...==................==......==........=
.....=======.....==---------==.......
.
1. Timothy protected Phillip during the hurricane and after he died ☹. “Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body.” (Taylor p. 108) “Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead.” (Taylor p. 112) Phillip and Stew cat were very sad and spent some time crying. I was extremely sad and started to look around and see if anyone else was sad. When my fish died I was very sad and only being six I buried it under a tree. Someone threw him out later. I still don’t know whom.
2. Phillip had to fix all of the hurricanes damage and remake the hut. “I started cleaning the camp area, or what was left of it.” (Taylor p.114-115) Phillip thought he had to reconstruct the island. The only thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy’s flint knife. Phillip had a surgery on his face to regain his eyesight. Phillip does his parents tell him to do more but also demands his own way. I didn’t like the ending because Timothy dies. At least Phillip and Stew Cat survive!!!
1) Timothy...*sniffle* died!
"Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead." (Taylor P.112)
Phillip felt like he should have gone with Timothy.
"I stayed there beside him for a long time, very tired, thinking that he should have taken me with him wherever he had gone." (Taylor P.112)
I was kind of sad, but I expected it.
Well, two years ago my grandmother died of cancer...
2)I probably would have felt really lonely and scared, but after I would try to make things as "normal" as they were before. Phillip had to do A LOT of things after the hurricane.
"There was much to do that I hardly knew where to start. Get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment to the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on. Then make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees too see if any coconuts were left--I didn't think any could be up there--and search the whole island to discover what the storm had deposited." (Taylor P.116)
Phillip wanted Timothy's knife.
"It [the knife] was the only thing I wanted off the cay." (Taylor P.134)
Phillip regained his sight after three operations. "But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again." (Taylor P.136)
Phillip doesn't hang out with Henrik anymore because of what he thinks in this quote.
"He [Henrik] seemed very young." (Taylor P. 136)
Phillip also thinks that his parents don't understand what happened on the cay as it was said,
"They [his parents]listened, of course, but I had the feeling that neither of them really understood what had happened on our cay." (Taylor P.136)
I kind of liked the ending because of Phillip dreaming to return to their "outrageous cay." I was actually somewhat debating whether I liked it or not because of what happened to Timothy.
Still, it was a nice book.
Let's read Tuesdays With Morrie next! :D
Actually, that story is a little too sad...
1) Sadly during the hurricane Timothy is working to hard for his old age he ends up passing away. Phillip and Stew Cat were really sad and Phillip was sad because Timothy taught him a lot. Phillips reaction was at first he didn’t cry but at the end he did. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112). When Timothy passed I was devastated and I wanted to cry but when I was reading and found out he died I wasn’t at home so I didn’t cry but I was so sad and I an up to my mom and I was like “in the cay Phillip died:( :( :(” it was hard for me. One of my closes family friends died he was like my dad away from my real dad. When I read this book it remind me of him my friend was African American.
2) How would I deal with the predicament in which Phillip found himself after Timothy’s death? Well I really don’t know. I would probably be beside my self and depressed. Phillip wanted to take care of him self and Stew Cat. The one thing Phillip wanted from the Cay island was the pocket knife that Timothy stuck in to the tree. Phillip regained his sight from getting surgery on it three time. With Henrik he thought that he was acting very young “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) and with his mom and dad he just talk to them about Timothy and how he was black. I REALLY liked the ending because I feel like as I was reading the book I had a feeling the book would end just like that and I thought it was just a perfect ending.
1
During the hurricane, Timothy took the full brunt of the waves instead of Phillip. "Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm,sheltering me with his body."
(Taylor, p 108)
After the hurricane, Timothy passed away.Phillip's reaction was to get ready to stay there for a while, and to bury him.
I didn't have much of a reaction, only a little bit of sadness.
I don't have a loss I want to share.
2
I would deal with a similar situation by gathering all I could to build a shelter and find anything I could salvage that could help me in any way.
Phillip believed he had bury Timothy because it was a decent thing to do. The one thing that Phillip wanted was langosta.
"I wanted langosta or
scallops to roast over the fire."
(Taylor, p 120)
Phillip regained his sight from a surgery because his nerves had just defaulted making him blind.
Timothy saw Henrik occasionally, but it wasn't as natural for the both of them, and they grew apart.
I loved the ending, and I liked it because it was a touching way to end. It hit all the right notes, and it just ended with a BANG.
1) "Old Timothy of Charlotte Amalie was dead." ( pg.112,Taylor) After the end of the hurricane as the quote said, Timothy had passed away. He had been buffed by winds, by grains of sand, and by water, this weakened him to the point of death.He didn't die in vain, he died because he didn't have a choice. The more I think about it the more I know that if this wasn't just a book, Timothy would have given his own life to protect Phillip anyway. It just makes sense. Here is a quote to show haw Phillip and Stew cat reacted. " I stayed there beside him for a long time,very tired,thinking he should have taken me with him wherever he had gone. I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears.I went back to sleep, and this time when I awakened I heard a meow." (Taylor pg.112) Obviously Phillip was heart broken, and Stew Cat, I don't necessarily know what a meow means, it could mean many things. When Timothy died, I might have shed a tear or two, I may have shrugged it off, but to tell the truth, I don't remember. I had a similar loss when me and all the cousins my age were driving back from our grandpa's funeral (He had died a week before) and my Grandma passed away. All six of her kids were standing at her side. When we were told all activities and complaining stopped. Every song played after fit the mood. We were on the bridge and I remember looking at an especially bright star and thinking, that's her, that's definitely her. I cried,and everyone hugged and cried and hugged some more. It was the saddest thing I had ever seen in my family. I felt like someone was trying to destroy my family.The people that I loved, it was hard for my dad and his siblings to have both parents to pass away in one week. But it was hard for us too. Those following days it seemed like everything was quiet and that the parents got mad at us for having fun.
2) Even if this is hard to do I would take a deep breath and try my best to survive, knowing it's nobody's fault but the hurricane that killed Timothy. Phillip believed that he had to:
- Feed himself and Stew cat
- rebuild hut
- make new signal fire
- listen hard for air crafts
Here is a quote to show the one thing Phillip wanted from the island: After I had climbed aboard I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay." ( Taylor pgs.133,134) To regain his sight Phillip has three operations. They took out a piece of wood that had lodged itself in his head on the Hato. It had damaged some nerves. He could see, but would always wear glasses. He can no longer relate to his parents and Henrik so he doesn't act the same way around them as he did before. I thought the way the book ended was great. It summed it up so you felt satisfied. It was one of those books that doesn't need a sequel. That is how good the Cay was. Personally I loved it.
1. Timothy got ready for the hurricane, and when the hurricane hit Timothy was trying to protect Phillip, and Timothy was so tired he died. "Timothy was taking the full blows of the storm, sheltering me with his body.(Taylor p.108). Phillip reaction was sad because his best friend besides Henrick was gone. My reaction is that it is very sad and that nature is not always nice to people. I have felt a similar loss but I am not feeling comfortable sharing it.
2.I would just move on and never look back. He had to take care of stew cat and himself while he is still blind. Phillip wanted the knife from the tree. " After I climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree." (Taylor p.133-134) Phillip regained his sight by having some surgeries. He is now more mature than Henrick, and thinks he is to babyish for him. I did not really like the ending because it is sad and that everything is like negative in the end.
1.Timothy took all the hits in the storm and died after because he was tired. "Phillip, some people die from just being very, very tired." (Taylor page 114) There reaction was sad that he left them there alone but he just had to get back to work on surviving. My reaction was that that was pretty predictable and i thought that was going to happen. Yes, when my 13 year old golden retriever died. It was sad :(.
2. I would survive a couple of days and if there was no rescue i would commit suicide. Phillip had to get back to work to survive. He wanted rescue. Phillip got glasses. "I would always have to wear glasses but i could see." (Taylor page 136) Phillip was less racist and was used to blacks. I would want them to change the ending to Phillip not being nude. I would have him have clothes because imagining that is NOT pretty.
1) During the hurricane Timothy tried to protect Phillip as much as he could. For example he said, "Standing with his back to the storm, Timothy put my arms thought the loops of rope, and then roped himself, behind me, to the tree." (Pg.108, Taylor). After the hurricane Timothy died because of the rough hurricane. After the hurricane the story said,"Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead."(Pg. 112, Taylor). Phillip's reaction was he began thinking negative thoughts like,"I was blind and alone of a forgotten cay."(Pg.112,Taylor). My reaction to this was very sad because I didn't think that Timothy was going to die. Yes I have lost a person actually. It was when my great grandpa passed away unexpectedly and my whole family was sad.
2) I would deal with the situation similar to what Phillip did which was try to survive by rebuilding a hut and hunting for food. Phillip believed he had to survive and get food even though he was unsure. For example Phillip said to Stew Cat,"I don't know how we'll get it all done."(Pg. 116, Taylor). The one thin that Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife because Phillip said, " I remembered Timothy's knife tuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay."(Pg. 133+134, Taylor). Phillip regained his sight by going to a hospital and going through exams and 3 operations and then to wear glasses. For example the story said," Four months later, in a hospital in New York, after many X-rays and tests, I had the first of three operations."(Pg. 136, Taylor). Phillip changes the way he hangs out with Henrik because he thinks that Henrik seems too young. Also he changes the way he deals with his parents because he fells older and more mature. I didn't like the ending because I think they finished it off to quickly and they didn't give a lot of detail like in the begging of the story.
1) During the Hurricane Timothy was struggling to keep Phillip safe and himself safe. After the hurricane Timothy died. I think it was because Timothy tired himself out so much he had no more strength left in him. Phillip reacted by crying for a long time. In the book it says... "Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) Stew Cat seemed sad also. My reaction was that I was surprised. I have actually read the book before so I knew it was coming but the first time I read it I was definitely surprised. A loss that I have experienced that was similar to Phillip and Stew Cats loss is when my cousin died. Phillip and Stew Cat were very sad when Timothy died and I was sad when my cousin died.
2) I would deal with the predicament by doing close to what Phillip did. I would bury him and then I would probably be very sad for a while because Timothy really helped Phillip. If Timothy weren’t there on the raft with Phillip, he probably would not have made it. After the hurricane this is what Phillip believed he had to do, "get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on... make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left... and search the whole island to see what the storm had deposited." (Taylor pg.116) The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy’s knife. Phillip regained his sight after getting off the island and he got several operations. Phillip changed because he has a new outlook on black people. He spends more time with them now. I loved the ending because Phillip got saved off the island and his sight came back. I thought that was a great way to wrap up the story.
1) During the hurricane, Timothy is hurt so badly that he finds that it is hard to move around places . After the hurricane, Timothy died from exhaustion and old age. Phillip becomes very sad and lonely eventually cries but not right away. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) I was really sad that timothy died i have had a terrible loss in Brazil when my dog died.
2. If I found myself after a huge storm where my best friend gave his life for me. i would use all Phillip taught me knew he had to feed himself and Stew Cat, make a shelter, sleeping mats, and make a new signal fire along with a new “help” sign. Phillip wanted to bring Timothy’s knife with him. Phillip regained his sight after surgery. Phillip know regards Henrik as a child, “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) i loved the ending because it makes the story more interesting.
1) During the hurricane, Timothy gave his last once of strength to save Phillip, and died in the hurricane. He was probably very tired. "With his great back to the storm, taking its full punishment, he had made it possible for me to live. When my grandfather died, my father had said, Phillip, sometimes people die from just being very, very tired. I think that is what happened to Timothy."(Taylor, page 114) Phillip didn't have much of a reaction because he was to upset to cry. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears."(Taylor, page 112) I was really upset, even though I had a funny feeling that he was going to die. I have had a similar loss. One day, when I was picked up from school, the first words I heard out of my mothers mouth was "Your Yia Yia died." I could not stop crying for an hour. We were so close, and she was one of the only people who I could talk to about anything (besides my parents).
2. I would probably cry for awhile, but then tell myself to suck it up and get things back where they used to be. Phillip believed that he needed to get food and rebuild the shelter and sleeping mats. "Feeling it everywhere under my feet, I knew that the cay was littered with debris. I started cleaning the camp area, or what was left of it."(Taylor, page 114-115) The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife. "After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay."(Taylor, page 113-114) Phillip regained his sight by having three surgeries."But after the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again."(Taylor, page 136) Phillip felt that Henrik was to young for him. "I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn't the same as when we'd played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young." He deals with his parents much better now. I didn't like the ending because Timothy died.
1)During the hurricane, Timothy is battered with rain and wind and waves while trying to protect Phillip. After the hurricane, Timothy is so exhausted that he dies from old age and exhaustion. At first, Phillip doesn't cry but eventually ends up crying, here is a quote “I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears......Then I cried for a long time holding Stew Cat tight.” (Taylor p. 112). I was sad that Timothy died but then I was happy because nothing too bad happened to Phillip while he was alone and then he was rescued and got his sight back!Yes, but I don't feel comfortable sharing it, it makes me sad :(.
2)I would try and do the best I can to stay alive, feed myself, make or find shelter, and make tools to help me survive. I would also try to stay positive and hope that someone will rescue me. Phillip believes that she has to “get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on. Then make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left and search the whole island to discover what the storm had deposited.” (Taylor p. 116). The one thing that Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife, to prove it, here is a quote “After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only the I wanted off the cay.” (Taylor pages 133-134). Phillip regained his sight by going to a hospital in New York and having 3 surgeries and on the 3rd surgery he was able to see after the bandages came off. Phillip has changed because he sees Henrik occasionally but mostly spends time in the St. Anna Bay, talking with the black people. Phillip said that he liked the sound of their voices and that he felt close to them. I loved the ending, I thought it was a perfect way to end the book. It was kind of sad also because it made you think of Timothy.
1 During the hurricane Timothy was shielding Phillip from the waves, wind, and sand and was cut in several places by the wind carrying the sand. “Timothy had been cut to ribbons by the wind, which drove the rain and tiny grains of sand before it.”(Taylor p.111) After the hurricane both Timothy and Phillip fell asleep and Timothy died because of the hurricane. Timothy was so sad and was beyond tears and Stew Cat was probably sad too. “There are times when you are beyond tears.”(Taylor p.112) I was really sad about Timothy but I kind of expected it. I have felt a similar loss but I am not comfortable sharing it.
2 I would be really sad and worried about how long I would be able to survive without Timothy. Phillip had a lot to do after the hurricane including, “Get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on. Then make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole in the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left- I didn’t think any could be up- and search the whole island to discover what the storm had deposited.”(Taylor p. 116) The one thing Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy’s knife. “After I had climbed aboard, I remembered Timothy’s knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay.” (Taylor p.133-134) Phillip got his sight back after three operations in surgery. The way Phillip has changed when dealing with his parents and Henrik is that he thinks Henrik is childish and doesn’t really hang out with him anymore and his mom no longer wants to leave Curacao. I did like the ending even though it was sad
1. After the hurricane Timothy was severely hurt and died. Phillip was sad and angry "I did not then. There are times when you are beyond tears... At first I was angry with Timothy" (Taylor, pg. 112-113). My reaction was very calm because I was kind of expecting Timothy to die because to me it was kind of obvious that someone was going to die during the hurricane. I have had two similar losses. The first one was my cousin and the second one was my fathers close friend who was like an uncle to me. I do not feel comfortable sharing how the died.
2. I would feel terrible and sad, I would also cry for hours. Phillip believed that he had to redo everything he and Timothy built and caught "I hardly knew where to start. Get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on. Then make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left-I didn't think any could be up there-and search the whole island to discover what the storm had deposited" (Taylor, pg. 116). The one thing that Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife he stuck in the tree "I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay" (Taylor, pg. 133-134). Phillip regained his sight by having had three operations "After the third operation, when the bandages came off, I could see again. I would always have to wear glasses, but I could see" (Taylor, pg. 136). Phillip dealt with his parents and Henrik like he was an adult " I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn't the same as when we'd played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young" (Taylor, pg. 136). I like the ending. I don't know why, but I just like the ending
When are we going to ready our fantasy stories????
1)Timothy died during the hurricane. "Old Timothy, of Charlotte Amalie, was dead." (Taylor,page 112) Philip didn't cry but only remembered timothy's black face. I don't know if I was surprised or not. While reading the ending of the book, it was just an option floating in the back of my head.
2) I would be devistated but would comfort Stew Cat and try to get on with my work. What Timothy thought he had to do was at least get Phillip and Stew Cat back to safety safely.
1. What happened to Timothy after the hurricane, Timothy died because he was very tired from the hurricane. "Phillip,sometimes people die from being very, very tired." (Taylor p. 114) Phillip's reaction was that he didn't cry. He only remembered his black face.I didn't really have a reaction. No I haven't.
2. I would just relax and think of everything that Timothy taught me and would take care of me and Stew Cat. After the hurricane, Phillip felt like he needed to take care of Stew Cat and himself, and repair everything that was damaged. the one thing that Phillip wanted from the island was Timothy's knife. " I remembered Timothy's knife stuck in the palm tree. It was the only thing I wanted off the cay. The way that Phillip has changed is that he is more mature and he talks to the black people.
1. Timothy got weathered from the wind and then bleed to death.Philllip got really sad but did not cry then because sometims it is beyond tears." I did not cry then. There are sometimes when you are beyond tears...then I cried."(Taylor page 112)Than god knock on wood I have never had a loss like that and I am very sorry for Phillip and I was sad too.
2.I would ake this very harshley and It would be very hard for me. I would moop around the island and shiver.He had to get food,stay alive,and make signs for people to see. He wanted timothy's knife that was stuck in the treeIt was the only thing i wanted of the ay page 134 he had three operatios. They ere all shoked and sad. Henrik didn't care.
1) After the hurricane Timothy died. Phillips reaction was that he began to cry. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor p. 112). My Aunt Melinda died when she was 27 so I never got to meet her. But I still feel the same pain my mom probably did.
2) I would deal with this predicatment by going on with my life and try to prepare incase another hurricane came. Phillip beliaved he had to "get a campfire going, pile new wood for a signal fire, make another rain catchment for the water keg, weave a mat of palm fibers to sleep on... make a shelter of some kind, fish the hole on the reef, inspect the palm trees to see if any coconuts were left... and search the whole island to see what the storm had deposited." (Taylor p.116) The one thing Phillip wanted was Timothys knife. Phillip regained his sight from an operation he had. I liked the ending. Although, it was quite sad.
1) During the storm, Timothy is hurt so bad that he finds that it is hard to move. After the hurricane, Timothy died from being really tired and old age. Phillip becomes depressed and, eventually cries, but not right away. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears... Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight." (Taylor pg. 112) I was very sad when Timothy had died but I was expecting it. I have not had a terrible loss.
2) If I found myself after a hurricane where my best friend sacrificed himself for me, I would use all the things Timothy had taught me. Phillip knew he had to feed himself and Stew Cat, make a shelter, sleeping mats, and make a new signal fire along with a new “help” sign. Phillip wanted to bring Timothy’s knife with him. Phillip regained his sight after surgery. Phillip know regards Henrik as a child, “I saw Henrik van Boven occasionally, but it wasn’t the same as when we’d played the Dutch or the British. He seemed very young.”(Taylor pg.136) I liked the ending because it ties the story up in a bittersweet way.
During the hurricane, Timothy began to get tired. After the hurricane, he felt weak, and he had died. When Timothy dies, Phillip just sits there tired, but he didn't cry. "I did not cry then. There are times when you are beyond tears." (Theodore Taylor page 112) I kind of expected Timothy to die, because he is very old, he says over 70. Someone Timothy's age shouldn't be facing nature like that.
I would not do good. Phillip stayed calm for the most part, and kept surviving. I would end up starving to death. Phillip believed that he had to dig a grave for Timothy. When Phillip was rescued, the one thing that Phillip wanted was Timothy's knife that was in the palm tree. Phillip regained his sight in New York at the doctor. "But after the third operation when the bandages came off, I could see again." (Theodore Taylor page 136) Even though Phillip had his sight back, he still needed his glasses. Phillip doesn't play with Henrik as much, he talks with the black people instead. I liked the ending, because Phillip and Stew Cat needed to eventually get off the island. Phillip also ended up seeing his parents which was also great.
1. After the hurricane Timothy was very tiered and died. "Phillip sometimes people die from being tiered." Phillip and Stew cats reaction was not crying but only remembering his black face.
2. I would try to live on my own and do exactly what Timothy did every day. What he wanted to do is take care of both of them and wait until a ship comes by. The one thing Phillip wanted off from the island was the knife that was stuck in the palm tree. He gained back his sight when he was rushed to the hospital. "I was rushed to a hospital."
Sorry Mrs.Torello but I didn't really like the book.
Post a Comment